Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Esssentially NOT a Game

Peter Hartlaub of the San Francisco Chronicle (SF Gate.Com) wrote about our fellow SL resident and In World Reporter Adam Reuters from the RL Reuters Agency.

Just click on this posts Title to go to the link on the article.

The article doesn't mention anything new, that we of the In World do not already know, however, I personally cringed every time he referred to SL as a Game?. Granted there are games that you can play and certainly a large part of the entertainment of SL is in some of the various role playing that goes on ( for me it is the shopping ). Of course I am aware that SL can easily be misconstrued that it only IS a game. A huge game where people spend US$ for L$ and make money in return but this blog would not exist if I did not take the stand point of SL being essentially more than a game .. if even I would dare to call it that.

Dear Mr. Peter Hartlaub,

Pardon me but Second Life is not any more of a game than Real Life is, if you want a comparison.

People role play every day at work, in relationships, in almost every social setting. There are marriages that are based on role playing where the couple or one of the spouses wants to leave but cannot find the courage to do so yaddah, yaddah, yaddah, so they stay. That's a HUGE game right there!

People commit infidelity, cheat the government ( and vice versa ), and gamble with their lives when they smoke, drink, eat unhealthy and carry on lifestyles that are not conducive to achieving a balanced state of mind! Gambling with your LIFE is a HUGE game in that aspect and of course you always loose.

So, I guess if you say that Second Life is a game then I give that to you. Afterall, aren't we all players just trying to win?


And yet .. there is an intuitive pang inside of me that keeps telling me to wake up and stop playing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home