Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Margaret Question: A feeble reply

In an earlier post titled Learning to Set Limits a reader named Margaret posed the following question:

If the smart, the creative, the innovative and the technically wise expend their talents in the metaverse, what happens to the rest of the world? What happens to the environment? What happens to the poor? Something like a third of the world has never even used a telephone....

I was amazed at the depth level that this question had engaged me. I promised Margaret that I would come up with an insightful and thoughtful response.

It is almost 4:30 am CST as I sit on my bed blogging this post. I had some time to allow the Margaret Question to seep into my being and play around in my mind. My response is not the answer to her question but rather the attempt of a mind in a three dimensional state to explore the possibilities of a sane response. Here it goes.

Granted, there is a large amount of SL residents who are creators in both building, scripting etc .. the most logical response would be that NOT ALL the smart, creative, the innovative and the technically wise expend their talents in the metaverse. There are still countless people in RL who feel that their sole purpose in life is to make a difference in Cancer Research, bridging the Digital Divide, Educating Third World Nations and so on.

Those that create and innovate in SL represent only a very small number of the technical world. It is true that there are still people that have never used or seen a phone but to count them in as part of this new WAVE would be plain silly.

It is a Third Dimensional fact that there will always be people who are more opportuned than others. This is based on social, financial, or whatever status one has to be involved with to have such opportunities.

As well, there will always be a BALANCE in the world. The Rich and the Poor, the Educated and Non Educated etc. I am not even going to talk about 'the choices people make' because frankly, there are those populations where certain choices are not even factored into their life experience.

Metaphysically speaking, a Soul chooses what they are to be, how they are to live and what experiences are necessary for them to have in a particular lifetime in order to move up the rank so to speak.

If you do not believe in Souls and in the returning of a Soul back to a lifetime then I encourage you to read on and bear with me. For what is the use of moving on to another web page if you have not at least read what I have to say.

Long ago people thought the world was flat. Long ago people believed that the Earth was the center of the Universe. Long ago people thought that you can get AIDS from merely touching someone and not too long ago people believed that a
'certain' drug was the cure for their ailments and NOW more and more drugs are being pulled off the shelf every time a discovery is made that INDEED that drug is harmful to your health. NO SHIT!

There is the concept of Group Souls. Those that are artistic, creative etc together work simultaneously thru the Great Ocean of Consciousness to help humanity achieve it's goal of AWARENESS. There are other Souls that work from a financial end, and those that appear to merely exist as a Third Dimensional entity (obviously, they have not yet evolved) but they will. That is their choice. I cannot and will not get into deep metaphysics here.

My mom is not a good cook, but she can command people do to things and run an entire company. My aunt is an amazing cook and can't speak in public or even use a computer.

There will always be extremes of things in this world and there will always be groups of people whose life experiences will be so different from that of others. Should we do anything about this? No.

I do believe that those that are more privileged with whatever power, have a responsiblity to humanity to share thru reaching out and teaching to. But more than anything, each of us that ARE AWARE should be first obligated to our SELF to ensure our SELF Evolution. There is NO SENSE in the blind leading the blind per se. Just look at the world history for proof.

The sad thing (sadness being a Third dimensional experience) is that there are many people that wander thru life living their Three dimensional lives without even being aware of the other levels. But that is fine. That is all they know in their realm of experience and perception.

Not everyone will agree that SL is just more than a game. Not everyone will even feel the need to find out what SL is all about.

I am one of the most open minded and flexible persons you will ever meet but I don't think I will ever feel the need to eat Pig's blood that is a delicacy in my culture.

I know this attempt at a sane response is really just an attempt but perhaps we need to ask ourselves this:

If the entire world were equal and equipped with the same technology that seems to be spewing out of Silicone Valley, would that make for a better world? I cannot imagine every nation having nuclear power.

If everyone had access to a phone, would that improve communication?

Communication that is not merely the transferring of facts and data between brain processes, but meaningful, essential and life changing communication.

Technology and all other platforms i.e. music, art, humanitarian service, accounting, motherhood etc .. are just other ways of connecting with others using a common ground for understanding. That is how I see it.

On the other side of the coin, if you were to remove the creativity and innovative work that a number of people have invested in, in SL and channel it to those areas of the world that are less privileged, would that still make a better world?

So I guess Dear Margaret, there are no exact black and white answers to your question. A very profound question INDEED.

BALANCE.

It is about achieving a state of BALANCE. Life in Moderation is usually safe but there will be times when a WAVE will occur that will catapult mankind to another level. Will it be good? Only time will tell. How many years has it taken to change the way people thought of the world being FLAT, until some crazy dude decided to travel AROUND it.?!

Yin and Yang.

Truthfully, this whole phenomenon of Metaverse is merely just another vehicle in the evolution of mankind that will eventually lead man to the same question. Why do I exist.

It is my hope that this time around, we will be closer to the answer.

There is still a great divide and I am not speaking of DIGITAL. There is indeed a great divide between human consciousness and the consciousness of the Universe. That to me is more of a concern than people not having the use of telephones.

Let them be I say, to run around naked and free in their land.

Yes, poverty is pathetic but so is extreme wealth by a person who's heart is empty.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Maxine,

(By the way, there's a typo in your topic: you left out an "r" in Margaret.:)

I'm flattered that you've named the musings the Margaret Question! There's a book I think you'd find fascinating: "The Age of the Spiritual Machines" by Ray Kurzweil. Kurzweil is a futurist who looks at the way in which we and our computers are becoming one. He contemplates the possibility of our minds (spirits?) being uploaded into computers, essentially making our bodies redundant.

If you haven't read it yet, do. You'll love it.

And thanks for dropping by to my blog. :)

Cheers,

Margaret

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS, meant to tell you. I love the name Maxine too. So much so, I named my daughter Maxine!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Maxine Montale said...

Yes! I have read that book. I have it at my bedside! It is a wonderful read. Absolutely wonderful! I got the book from a friend I met this year. It's amazing how we met.
*oops* sorry for the typo. I am so embarrased. Thanks so much for pointing it out. It was so late and I had not had the chance to see it republished because bloger took so long to update it!~

Oh! And how synchronous! You have a daughter named Maxine and I read the book "The Age of Spiritual Machines!"

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home